Founded in 1993 by former First Lady of Tennessee Andrea Conte as a grass-roots movement, You Have the Power (YHTP) brings people whose lives have been touched by violent crime to address these incidents and their consequences, focused on information and prevention.
A 16-member board of community and civic leaders governs the agency. Each board member serves on one standing or event committee each year to develop and recruit individual and corporate donor opportunities.
What we do:
We produce documentaries and resource guides and present community safety training sessions on important concerns such as:
- Child sexual abuse
- Domestic violence
- Internet safety
- Acquaintance rape
- Elder abuse
- Human trafficking
- Dangers of illegal methamphetamine labs
We collaborate with communities across Tennessee to:
- Present public programs on focus area topics
- Provide education and training for day care workers, educators, parents, and others on the prevention of and recognition of child abuse
We advocate for victims of crime and their families, serving as a clearinghouse for information and as a resource to other agencies as requested.
We educate offenders/parolees on the impact of their actions, offering the only victim impact curriculum approved by the Tennessee Department of Correction.
- As crime trends evolve, we develop new material to meet community needs. In 2017, we updated and expanded our documentary “No Girl’s Dream” on human trafficking, and created a corresponding resource guide for agencies across the state.
Sources of funding:
- Community trainings
- Government and community grants
- Annual campaign and donations
- Signature event like our Powerhouse Award Luncheon and Powerfully Thankful Dinner & Silent Auction
Want to Join Us?
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@YHTP1)
- Sign up for our quarterly newsletter at www.yhtp.org
- Become a volunteer: contact us to help staff a YHTP event or serve as a speaker
Our Offices: 2401 White Avenue, Nashville TN 37204